Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ain't No Place Like Home

Can you believe that we just finished week 6?

On Thursday, I had the chance to work out at the Decatur camp, because I was training that afternoon in Decatur and only made sense to workout there. Decatur camp was a bit different from Grant Park. Michelle and JB were the trainers that lead the camp. The first difference was the size. Decatur was much smaller and gave an intimate setting. I think it was about 15(14 women and 1 man). The warm up of was about the same as Grant Park. We jogged 2 laps in from of the school, high knee marches, squats, jumping jacks, trunk twist, coffee grinders, over head slides(I think) and jumping jacks. JB(trainer) did most of the warm up with us as he encouraged! Generally, in Grant Park, I start my warm up lap a few mins before to end a bit before or with the group. I started at the same time and was less than 30 secs behind the group. A camper heard me talking to Michelle about starting a bit early and she said that I would be fine because they were not fast runners! She was right and I did feel a bit more comfortable with having others that were close to my fitness level. Now, of course there were a few that "Dawns' of the bunch" If you know Dawn Smith then you know who I am talking about! Smile Dawn, I LOVE YOU!!

The workout was broke up into 2 groups- Strength training (Kettle Bells) and Cardio workout.

I started with the Cardio work which consisted of 100 jump ropes, 15 squat jumps, 10 push ups with ball, 10 barrier jumps and 10 step ups each leg. I was able to get through 2 rounds in the allotted time. I think that we worked for 18 mins per group. The fitness levels varied in the camp and I was not too far behind the other campers. I was only secs compared to minutes in Grant Park. Grant Park is MORE intense. From the mouth of Josh and Bwaa, If you are able to talk during a workout then you are not working hard enough. The trainers were encouraging, but it was different Josh and Bwaa PUSHING me. I think that could have been because it was my first time meeting with them or working out with them on a regularly bases.

The kettle bell workout was good, because I need to work my "wings"(arms) as much as possible. Michelle was doing kettle bells exercise and offered valuable information as we worked out and talked. For this exercise we had partners and Tina was my partner. She was GREAT! and I must say that she pushed me several times throughout the night. Thanks TINA and you will LOOK GREAT when your wedding day comes!!!!

The stretch was GREAT! Michelle walked us through various exercises that were different than Grant Park and she was there to lend a helping hand when we were partnered on several exercises.

Overall, I must say that the workout went well and enjoyed experiencing a different camp that FitWit has to offer. I am a creature of habit so, ain't no place like home.

Decatur THANKS for the hospitality!!!!

Jo aka JCE

1 comment:

  1. Jo... awwww... you came to Decatur?!? I transferred over to Decatur after our "newbie" session together. Have to say that the springy turf is pretty nice to work out on. Agree that the intensity at Decatur isn't like Grant Park but, it's perfect for me. I find that I push myself harder because I don't feel like I'll forever be at the back of the pack. Plus, I like to work out with my hubby - JB the trainer ;-) If you come back this way again, let me know. I usually work out with 7am but... come to 615pm from time to time. Say hi to everyone at GP for me. -Veronica

    ReplyDelete