Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Decatur: Mary, Mary; Why ya buggin?

It's not often our named workouts actually have the person they are named after in our camp. It was a real treat yesterday to do the Mary, Mary while Mary was doing it right beside us. (By the way, Mary; you took all the comments with such grace. I don't know that my gestures to some of the complaints would have *just* been a hand wave. Just sayin'.)

All that being said, the Mary Mary was no pony ride. That workout was real work and it is now up there with the Victoria for me. I seem to gravitate to the workouts that have a long list of things to do. I really enjoy getting through that task list.

Here's what Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary looked like:
For time:
3 rounds of the following:
50 1-arm overhead lunge steps (25 each arm)
50 overhead squats or prisoner squats
25 dips
15 pushup burpees
After three rounds, finish w/800m run

*Newbie version = no bars

I'm sad to say, that the squats I had to do newbie style with no bars. I tried, but it just didn't feel right, even using just the 9 lbs bar. I just can't hold that kind of weight on my knees yet. I'll get there, just Tuesday was not that day. I also had to sub the weighted lunges for some supermans. But rest assured, Stacy was NOT letting me off easy. I had to do 100 of those suckers to take the place of the lunges. (Surprisingly, that took a lot of time for me to get through. I now have a new exercise to practice in front of the tv.) But here's the best part, I did pushup burpees. I was still on my knees for the pushups, and I had to do a little bunny hop to get my feet back to my hands at the end, but I did them! I was really proud of myself for those. I didn't give up and just switch to regular burpees like Stacy said we could. I wanted to keep going and I did.

I've also started to try something different when it comes to timed workouts. I set myself a goal, one I think I can hit and I go for that rather than focus on "finishing" the workout. Some of those I just know I can't do in the allotted time. I want to focus more on getting form right, increasing weight and getting a good quality workout. I'm really trying to get my mindset out of this have to finish or I failed rut. I set myself up to fail that way and it makes it hard to get happy about boot camp when I do that.

I set my goal at 2.5 rounds and let it go at that. I may have taken longer to get there, but I met my goal and managed to get keep my form for the whole workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment