Thursday, April 1, 2010

Decatur: The Marnggie: Redux.

Wow, it's almost the end of the second camp already! This six weeks just flew by. Since it's that last week of camp, it's time for some Redux Exercises. We had the run just last week, which unfortunately, due to my ankle injury I didn't get to participate in. And of course, we had TABATA again. TABATA had some interesting results the second time around. I really went up at least two to three reps per exercise *except* for the push-ups. I don't know if it was a bad day, or just lack of use on my arms, but I maintained the same number as before. (A whopping 12 for those of you that may wonder.)

But this week, on the next to last day of camp, it was the Marnggie that came to visit. As I've said before, workouts with names tend to be the toughest, and this one was no exception. The first time we saw this, it was in week three. That lovely mid-point. I was gaining strong and really able to put through the most I could. I got to three rounds and was extremely pleased with myself. This time, I can't say the same.

I don't know if it was the cold that my tiny terror brought to me from daycare, or the switch the the morning camp that day, or if it wasn't in the cards for me. I just barely got through two and half rounds. And I do mean barely. That was even shortening the lap distance for me. I just couldn't get it together. I was so disappointed by the time we got down to the end. Stacy is calling out 15 minutes left, 10 minutes, 60 seconds. I swear I got slower every time I heard a number and then the word left!

As Stacy was coming around asking for rounds, she told me something valuable. She said that not every time improves. Sometimes it's just not happening and it's okay. It doesn't mean you've ran aground, it just means it was not one of the ones you had an improved time on. And I have to agree with her. I felt better when she said that. I knew I wasn't at my best, but I really wanted to slay this workout today.

Today wasn't the day I improved my time. But I got through it, and I had a great time doing it. I've always said I enjoy the heck out of my morning visits. You really have to appreciate people that make working out before the sun even rises a good time to be had by all.

And to paraphrase one of the most entertaining morning campers (Mouse, I'm talkin' to you), "I do more before 7am than you do all day."

1 comment: