Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Decatur: The FitWit 500.

It's the beginning of week 5 and boy, did it start with a bang. I should've known something called the FitWit 500 wasn't going to be easy. (But, I can dream right?)

For those of you that won't know what the heck I'm talking about, here's how it breaks down:

FitWit 500 (2010 remix)
2 rounds = 500 reps
50 Sit-up and shoulder press - bars
50 Broad Jumps (PM ground subbed Squat Jumps for these since we were in restricted pace)
50 1-arm KB Thrusters
50 Windshield Wipers (over and back is one)
50 Slam Balls

The first round, you're like, yeah! Let's go! By the middle of the first round, you're like, Ok! I can make it! By the middle of the second round, you're like, what? There's more? How can there be time left?

Okay, maybe not everyone. Some hardcore campers actually made it to three or four rounds. (I would NOT be in that category of camper.) My goal was a simple one. Make it all the way through two rounds, as requested. I trucked through that first round. I got to sub lunges for the squat jumps since I'm still a little unsteady on my knee. I got through the situps just fine. For some reason, that bar makes it a little easier. Maybe the momentum of carrying it through to overhead helps. Moved onto the lunges. Easy peasy. The Kettle Bell arm Thrusters. Oh sweet lord. Guess who needs to work on her arm strength. I had the smallest damn kettle bell, and still I was crying trying to lift that bad boy up over my head. Michelle took pity on me and said to just do 30 total, 15 each arm. I got through it, but my momentum took a plunge. I felt like I was on slow motion for everything else. The windshield wipers were easy for the first half, but the second half was really tough. My core muscles were just screaming at me. I was grunting like a vet just to get through that first set of 50. The slam balls are my favorite. There is nothing like slamming a medicine ball down on the ground at the end of a long day at work. Take that, cubicle life! SLAM! Take that, stupid traffic jam. SLAM! I love it.

I was energized once again, so I decided to go backwards for the second round to change it up a little. Back to the windshield wipers. I thought that last set of 25 was hard to do, by the time I was on 15 of the first set this time, I thought someone had lit my stomach on fire. They sound all cute, but man, they will work you over. All around me people are screaming out their end of round 2 and moving onto round 3. Ahhhh! Time was running out, this sucks! I want to finish! No no no! So, I keep trucking. I get to the sit-ups, the kettle bell thrusts, I get to the slam balls, and sure enough, I am running out of time. Nooooo! I want to finish. I get to the last of the slam balls and Michelle calls time. She tells everyone to take a nice slow walk, but I beg her to let me finish while everyone walks. I HAVE to get the lunges in! I HAVE to finish! I was so close. Thankfully, she says yes and off I go with the wonderful Jamila counting me down. People are starting to trickle back in, but I'm still going. I'm totally bathed in sweat, but dammit, I will FINISH! This is FITWIT! I'm down to the last 10 and Jamila is coaching me through, and I MADE IT! I didn't do it in the time allotted, but I finished TWO WHOLE ROUNDS!

I have never felt so accomplished. I know next time this one comes around, I'll be able to finish it just fine. I only went over by about two minutes when it was all said and done. I may not have made it withe the rest of the class, but I still did it and I hit my personal goal.

So, to that, I say... bring on day 2, week 5 and let's see what I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment