Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Decatur: The FitWit Sandwich. (Or Lettuce Wrap)

So we meet again, Sandwich. So we meet again. I have to say, I really love when I get the chance to repeat a workout. It really is satisfying to see where I've been and where I'm going to go. Tonight, it was the Sandwich. Or Wrap, if you go on newbie rep numbers. (Which, I did. Bless your soul, Michelle!)

Here's the breakdown:
FitWit Sandwich
Run 3 football field laps
150 squats
75 situps
50 pushups
25 wall burpees
50 pushups
75 situps
150 squats
Run 3 football field laps

FitWit Sandwich Light (newbies)
Run 2 football field laps
100 squats
50 situps
30 pushups
15 burpees
30 pushups
50 situps
100 squats
Run 2 football field laps

There was a slight modification, since we were inside. 5 laps around the track for the newbies, and 7 for the vets. I took the five and went for it. The last time I faced this workout, it took me damn near forever. I struggled through those squats. I even remember having to use the bar around the track to help with the squats. I struggled something awful. This time, I was bound and determined to get farther than I'd before. I was going to get as close to the end as possible.

I did end up going a little slower on the laps than I'd originally intended. After walking the zoo this weekend in bad shoes, I had the worst shin splint cramps than I'd had this whole camp. I felt like I was walking through molasses at the end. I was so darn happy to get to the squats I thought I was going to cry right then and there.

100 squats is nothing to laugh at, but I was going to make it through them. Once I had a couple of reps of 10 under my belt, my legs and knees loosened up and I was good to go to 20 in a set. I knocked them out as best as I could. (Using the wonderful trick Jose taught me. Look at a spot on the ceiling and don't take your eyes off of it. It keeps your back straight the whole time. Love it!) Squats, done! Off to the sit ups. Thanks to another wonderful trick, this time from Vanessa, I stuck my feet under the bar around the track and went to town. I never thought I'd see the day where I got all 50 situps and and not struggle at the end. I was even able to go fast once my feet were firmly under the bar. Pushups? No problem. I got this! (It's sad when pushups are the easiest part of the workout.) Here we go getting to that upper body strength I am so determined to improve. 30 of 'em, done.

Crap. Burpees. Damn burpees. There's no way for me not to look ridiculous doing burpees. There's just not. If my shirt isn't flipping up my back, the front is well, flopping around. But we don't come to FitWit to be modest. So, for all of you that happened to see the flab, I'm sorry, but I can't say it won't happen again. I decided that 2 sets of 10 and a set of 5 reps was doable. And I got down to it. Those last five were a bit of a struggle and my arms were starting to show the wear and tear from all the pushups. (We do a daily pushup number ever day, and add at least one more to our rep. I've gotten up to 36 unbroken.)

I'd gotten to the middle of the sandwich. It was downhill from here. Back to the pushups. 30 of 'em again. Now for the situps. Damn. Now my stomach muscles were starting to really hurt. I slowed down considerably from the first one. Sweat is pouring down into my eyes, but dammit, I have to keep going! The last ten were a struggle, but I'm almost there. I'm chanting to myself, five more. I can do five more.

Squats. 100 more squats. I can do this. Squats are my friend. They were my sub for just about everything jumping related my first camp. I can do them without thinking now. I have GOT to get these last 100 in before time is called. I'm okay with not getting to the laps. I want to get as much done as I can. I start out with sets of 20. One set, done. Two sets, done. I can do this. One more set and I'm up to 60. It's downhill from here. I can hear Michelle calling out time and we're getting down to the wire. Two more sets of 20 and I'm one whole sandwich part closer than I ever had been before. I slam out 20 more and I'm struggling so much. I almost fall over. Okay, too far down. I'll have to dial it back a little and really keep my toes up. I can do this. I get ten more in. Michelle yells out that there's thirty seconds left. I have to get out these last ten. I have to finish this part of the sandwich. My legs are screaming, my face is burning and dripping, but I'm going to finish. I get my last ten out and two seconds later Michelle says time's up! I did it! I got to everything but the last 5 laps! I went a whole exercise more than the last sandwich!

I was grinning ear to ear. I was so happy with myself. Exhausted, but happy. And to top it all off, I heard one of the best sentences as I was walking to my car. Michelle said, "Good work out there tonight, Anda."

No comments:

Post a Comment