Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Decatur: Week 3, Day 1 OUTSIDE!

Boy, how excited was I when it was announced the weather was nice enough to have our camp outside! The first time since last camp and we were going to be in the open air. (No offense, Decatur High, but your gym... well, it smells like a gym.) Then Michelle announced what the workout was the dreaded 1.7 mile. Okay, it wasn't so dreaded to me since I'd never done it before. But I do have to admit, that it sounded a tad daunting. Around the track is one thing, but outside. Up a hill? Say what now?

At first, I almost had an easy out. Michelle needed a time keeper since she couldn't be in two places at once. I volunteered since I wasn't sure I was ready for a 1.7 mile jaunt up two huge ass hills. I'm sure my selfless sacrifice didn't go unnoticed, and for a little while I was the timekeeper. Then, Tina showed up and since she was going to do it in the am camp the next day, I was off the hook and on for the run. (Damn!)

Michelle laid out route, and it didn't seem too bad at first. Up a smidge of a hill, turn left, go mostly down hill for two turns and then up another hill and down to the finish. HA! LIES! Okay, so the beginning wasn't that bad. I even started to jog a little. That soon stopped on the cold, hard and unforgiving cement sidewalk. Ouch! So, I moved onto a brisk pace that had me at the back of the pack. Since I was given the grace of only going around and cutting through the parking lot, I figured I could go hard and get there without being lapped. ('Cause some of those people– Nan, I'm talking to you– they run FAST!) So, there I was huffing and puffing along. I get around the corner, and sure enough, it is downhill a little. I'm okay. People are looking at me funny, but I keep my head up and keep on going. Down the next hill towards the parking lot. I get to the parking lot, and I'm thinking, I feel okay. Why don't I keep going? I'm using the barometer of being lapped as my guideline. I haven't seen anyone, so I know that I've got some time before they catch up to me and I straggle in last. I'm about halfway up this massive hill, and I hear faintly behind me, "Go Anda go!" It's Michelle cheering me on, and I swear that gives me my little boost. I can see the traffic light at Howard where I'm supposed to turn left. I'm trucking as fast as I can. And talking to myself. I'm pretty sure I looked insane. But I was gonna make it up that damn hill.

The traffic light is there! I made it! Now it's just straight through on flat ground until the next left. Then, downhill. I truck by the Decatur High School parking lot.
(And the nice raised flowerbeds!) I keep checking behind me. No one's lapped me yet. I might not be the last person through the finish on this one! Then, I hear footsteps behind me. Fast footsteps. I've come to the turn where it's all downhill. I threw a look over my shoulder, it's Nan! Nan the fastest runner we have! She's gaining on me. God help me, I'm breaking into a run. I'm gonna finish close, dammit! So, I'm jogging as fast as the concrete will let me go (downhill, mind you) and Nan passes me. (Of course.) But I'm going to keep going. Michelle runs up to greet me and helps me jog the rest of the way in. I did it! I made it ALL the way around! One whole lap, and I'M NOT LAST! I did it in 15 minutes and 16 seconds. .85 of a mile in 15 minutes. Uphill two ways, too!

I was seriously proud of myself. I remember a time just in November where it took me half an hour to walk a whole mile. Now, I did almost a whole mile in half the time. Even Michelle was impressed at my performance tonight. I walked away under a beautiful night sky proud of myself.

1 comment:

  1. Very descriptive Anda!! I could see the blue sky fill the sunshine on my face and smell the flowers on this wet ugly day. Thanks for the post. Congrats on your first .85 mile...
    Bwaa

    ReplyDelete